Areas of Interest
Ian’s expertise covers children and adolescents ranges from age 5 to 21 and includes:
- Child Behavior Disorders (e.g. Oppositional Defiant Behavior)
- Changes in child behavior and emotions due to reaction to family stress
- Parent-Child Relationship Difficulties
- Parenting Difficulties (e.g. Support Groups for mothers and fathers)
- Anxiety Related Disorders (e.g. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, generalized anxiety disorder)
- Mood Disorders
- Social Skills/Peer Difficulties/ School Bullying
- Anger Management
- Emotional and behavioral issues in the context of complex medical conditions
- Adjustment and acculturation issues
- Bachelor of Science (USA)
- Master of Public Health (USA)
- Master of Social Work (USA)
- Registered Social Worker
English, Cantonese, Tagalog
Ian is a counselor currently based in Hong Kong working with children and families. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge working in schools, hospital and outpatient clinical settings in the US.
Previously, Ian worked as a medical social worker at New York University Langone Medical Center (NYULMC) assisting a variety of client populations ranging from pediatric to older adults. He covered multiple inpatient services and charged with developing comprehensive safe discharge plan for patient requiring aftercare services. His practice in NYULMC involved helping clients with acute mental health crisis such as suicide ideation, schizophrenic disorders, mood and anxiety disorders, and trauma related cases.
In addition, he served as an adjunct professor at New York University Silver School of Social work’s postgraduate program. He obtained his postgraduate clinical fellowship in child, adolescent and family therapy at Yale University Child Study Center. At Yale, he provided outpatient, school and intensive home-based interventions for at risk children and youth diagnosed with psychiatric disorders, behavioral and developmental issues. He served as a consultant to preschool teachers at New Haven, Connecticut’s Head Start preschool program. He earned his two Masters of Public Health and Social Work from University of Michigan. He is also a registered social worker in Hong Kong.