Influenza, colloquially known as the flu, is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses (type A or B). Its symptoms can range from mild to severe, presenting with respiratory signs such as cough, sore throat, or runny nose. It can also cause generalised symptoms like fevers, chills, body aches, fatigue, and headaches. In some cases, complications such as sinus and ear infections or even life-threatening conditions like pneumonia, myocarditis, encephalitis, or myositis can occur.
The best defence against the flu? Annual vaccinations.
The influenza vaccine is a powerful tool in preventing the flu. It not only helps protect against the most common influenza viruses for the upcoming season, but it also reduces the severity of illness if you do become infected. A 2021 study showed that vaccinated patients who were admitted to the hospital with influenza had a 26% lower risk of intensive care admissions and 31% lower risk of death from flu than those who were unvaccinated. (3)
Furthermore, the flu vaccine is beneficial for people with chronic health conditions, healthy individuals, and pregnant women. It helps protect the individual and their loved ones, contributing to community immunity.
Corporate Flu Vaccination: A Win-Win
As we enter the peak season of seasonal influenza, organisations have a unique opportunity to protect their employees and ensure business continuity. OT&P Healthcare is at the forefront, offering convenient solutions for corporates to administer flu vaccines.
We offer the following options:
- In-House Flu Vaccine Clinic: Our medical team will visit your office to administer vaccines to registered staff. This ensures minimal disruption to work schedules.
- Flu Vaccine Vouchers: These vouchers can be redeemed at our clinics for a flu shot at the employee's convenience.
Investing in corporate flu vaccinations has clear benefits:
- Decreased Absenteeism: By preventing flu, you can reduce the days employees are out sick. Workplace health initiatives such as an on-site vaccine clinics can help reduce sick leave absenteeism by 27% and lower healthcare costs for companies by 26%. (4)
- Increased Productivity: Healthy employees are more effective and contribute positively to the work environment. On Average, 79 days of productivity is lost due to health-related absenteeism and presenteeism per employee, costing HK organisations an estimate of HKD $3 million+ every year. (5)
- Corporate Responsibility: Show that you care about your employees' health and wellbeing. Successful implementation of an effective mentally healthy workplace, on average, can expect a positive ROI of 2.3%. (6)
To protect your employees and the broader community, consider the flu vaccination as a vital part of your corporate health strategy. For more information on our corporate flu vaccination program, feel free to book a meeting to find out more.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2023, June 30). Influenza (flu). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved August 18, 2023, from https://www.cdc.gov/flu/index.htm.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022, September 13). What are the benefits of flu vaccination?. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved August 18, 2023, from https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccine-benefits.htm.
- Recommendations on Seasonal Influenza Vaccination for the 2023-2024 Season in Hong Kong. Scientific committee on Vaccine Preventable Diseases. (n.d.). Retrieved August 18, 2023, from https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/recommendations_on_seasonal_influenza_vaccination_for_the_2023_24_season_in_hong_kong_19apr.pdf.
World Health Organization. (n.d.). Protecting workers’ health. World Health Organization. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/protecting-workers’-health
AIA. (n.d.). Creating a mentally healthy workplace - PWC. Creating a mentally healthy workplace. https://www.pwc.com.au/publications/pdf/beyondblue-workplace-roi-may14.pdf